If you spend most of your time sitting down, whether working from home or gaming on your computer, you will likely suffer from back pains. This is because sitting for more than seven hours a day will put a strain on your body. To avoid this strain, you should consider investing in an ergonomic office chair. According to experts, when you sit for long periods in a specific unnatural position, such as gaming postures, it can cause a wide range of problems, including shoulder, wrist, and back pain. This is why it is vital to have an ergonomic chair during gaming to prevent injuring your spine.
Things to Know Before Choosing an Ergonomic Chair
Once you’ve decided to invest in a more ergonomic chair, you still have to shop for the perfect model for yourself because of the variety today. Everybody is different, and therefore, you shouldn’t take the one-size-fits-all approach as you could get the wrong seat, further complicating your back problems. When finding a comfortable chair, you should think in the lines of the “one man’s meat is another man’s poison” perspective. What is comfortable for you is going to be miserable for another person.
The Features of a Good Ergonomic Chair
The first consideration to make when shopping for an ergonomic chair is the style. There are many features an ergonomic chair should possess, including:
- Width and Depth: the chair of your choice should have the correct width and depth to support you comfortably. The standard width for seats is usually 17-20. The center should allow you to sit with your back against the seat’s backrest and still leave about two to four inches between the seat of the chair and the back of your knees.
- Height: the height of your ergonomic chair should be adjustable. A seat that provides a height that ranges from 16 to 21 can work for most people.
- Backrest: the backrest of the chair should naturally support the natural curve of the spine and should be adjustable in back and forward angles
- Lumbar Support: the lower back support is critical in an ergonomic chair. Your seat should have adjustable lumber to get a perfect fit.
- Material of the Seat: the seat and back material of the chair should have enough passing to provide comfortable sitting for a more extended period.
The Best Ergonomic Office Chairs
1. Herman Miller Aeron Chair
A good office or gaming chair should help you maintain a natural sitting posture, which means a position with your knees slightly higher than your hips, feet flat on the ground, and your shoulders, ears, and hips lined up with each other. The best way to achieve this is by having a chair with an adjustable armrest and seat. The Herman Miller Aeron Chair features that.
2. Herman Miller Mirra 2 Chair
This is a less expensive option with great functionality. It features a mesh that bends and moves as you lean back and forth and change positions. It also has some features similar to that of the Aeron, such as adjustable arms, lumbar support, and seat angle.
3. Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
This is one of the affordable models of ergonomic chairs and was founded by a physio center. It has an adjustable armrest, seat height, and a supportive mesh. If you are thinking of investing in a good ergonomic chair while watching your finances, this option is both functional and affordable.
4. Ticova Ergonomic Office Chair
The highlight of this char is its customizable headrest feature which allows you better to support your head, upper back, and neck. It also has an adjustable armrest and solid lumbar support, promoting an effortless upper-back posture and maintaining your lower backs curve.
5. Humanscale Freedom Office Chair
This chair is built with minimum levers but with high levels of adaptability. It uses a self-adjustable recline, allowing the user to adjust its angle by a simple lean rather than using a separate lever.
6. La-Z-Boy Trafford Big And Tall Executive Office Chair
If you are tall and have a more extensive body build, this is the chair for you. It can accommodate a weight of up to 400 pounds as it has a memory form and elevated headrest designed to support the lower back, neck, and upper back.
The secret to helping back pain is sitting in a good posture. This means investing in a chair with good back support. Studies show that improved ergonomics while gaming or working can significantly improve back pain. That’s why you should get an ergonomic chair, especially one that suits you. If you need help choosing the right chair for your needs, consider consulting with professionals.