Kidney stones are a common disorder that affects both genders. These are the hardened masses of excessive minerals that accumulate in the kidneys. Diet and nutrition play a vital role in managing a person’s condition of kidney stones. An individual with kidney stones treatment needs to have foods that are rich in nutrients to improve their symptoms.
So, without any delay, let’s begin with the diet and nutrition best suited for kidney stones.
The following are the best foods for kidney stones:
- Water and Hydrating Fluids – Staying hydrated is the key to preventing kidney stones and their complications. If you have stones in your kidney, you must drink at least 12 glasses of water each day. Other than water, you should also include other hydrating fluids and juices like basil juice, celery juice, banana stem juice, etc. in your regular diet. These fluids will prevent dehydration and also detoxify the kidneys, thereby preventing the formation of further stones.
- Calcium-Rich Foods – Patients dealing with the symptoms of renal stones should ensure that they consume healthy amounts of calcium daily. If enough calcium is included in the diet, it will bind with the oxalate in the stomach or intestine itself, rather than binding in the kidneys. This will prevent existing stones from growing and save you from any more problems due to kidney stones.
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables – These form an integral part of a diet for staying fit. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fibers and they are rich in antioxidants and help to detoxify the kidneys. Including fresh fruits and veggies in the diet can help reduce the intensity of kidney stones symptoms.
- Natural Citrate – It is highly recommended to include citrus foods like lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc in the diet for kidney stone patients. This is because these foods contain high amounts of natural citrate. Citrate is quite effective in disintegrating the existing stones in mild cases. Smaller stones can easily pass through the urinary tract and then get flushed out. However, you must not fulfill your Vitamin C and citrate requirements through supplements as these can aggravate the problem.
- Vitamin D – Recent studies have revealed that a low level of Vitamin D in the body can be a potential risk factor for the development of kidney stones. Therefore, doctors advise consuming the right amount of Vitamin D as it helps absorb the calcium properly. Eggs, orange juice, mushrooms, breakfast cereals are excellent sources of vitamin D.
- Plant-Based Proteins – Animal proteins can increase the levels of uric acid in the body and contribute to the formation of stones. Therefore, to prevent kidney stones from worsening, fulfill your daily requirement of protein through plant sources. Some of the plant-based protein sources include chia seeds, quinoa, oats, sprouts, etc.
Foods to Avoid with Kidney Stones
Avoid the excessive consumption of the following foods to prevent kidney stones from getting severe:
- Foods are rich in oxalate content such as spinach, beets, nuts, dark chocolate, etc.
- Processed foods like white bread, sausage rolls, pies, pastries, cakes, biscuits, etc.
- Carbonated beverages such as cola, etc.
- Animal protein such as cheese, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, eggs, sardines, salmon, etc
- Foods are high in sodium content like salted nuts, canned meat, and other food items, frozen burritos and pizza, etc.
These foods are known to have dehydrating effects, trigger kidney stone symptoms and increase the risk of the formation of new kidney stones. In addition, refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking as these habits can also aggravate.
The recommended changes in eating habits can improve the condition of kidney stones to a great extent and prevent new stones from forming. A balanced diet for kidney stones can relieve the pain significantly and can even aid in dissolving and passing small kidney stones (less than or up to 5mm in size). But, you should know that even after following proper diet and nutrition, some people may not get complete relief. In such a scenario, consulting a doctor to get required medical attention and alteration in the regular diet is a wise choice.
When is Medical Consultation Necessary?
If the kidney stones are large (more than 5mm in diameter) and recurring, and dietary changes alone are not enough in getting rid of them, consulting a urologist near you without any delay is necessary. In such cases, waiting for a long time can be dangerous as the symptoms may keep on getting worse until proper treatment is received.
Where can You Consult a Kidney Stone Specialist?
You can contact Pristyn Care for expert consultation on kidney stone treatment. Get consulted by one of the most reliable names in the healthcare industry nearby your locations. Their specialists use USFDA approved techniques for kidney stone treatment.